Smiles 4 Canada Privacy Statement
2. Your Privacy Rights
From January 1, 2004, all organizations engaged in commercial activities must comply with the PI Protection and Electronic Documents Act and the Canadian Standards Association Model Code for the Protection of PI which it incorporates. These obligations extend to the Canadian Foundation for the Advancement of Orthodontists (CFAO). The Act gives you rights concerning the privacy of your PI.
Canadian Foundation for the Advancement of Orthodontists (CFAO) is responsible for the PI we collect and hold. To ensure this accountability, we have developed this policy, and trained our directors and support staff about our policies and practices.
3. Why Does Canadian Foundation for the Advancement of Orthodontists (CFAO) Need PI
Canadian Foundation for the Advancement of Orthodontists (CFAO) provides educational services and products to a wide range of members and, through Smiles 4 Canada, facilitates the provisions of orthodontic treatment to the public. We require some PI to provide these services to you; create and maintain contact lists; and produce direct marketing materials concerning our services and development.
4. What PI do we collect?
PI is any information that identifies you, or by which your identity could be deduced. If we did not collect and use your PI we could not provide you with our services.
PI that we collect includes, but is not necessarily limited to, the following:
- your name, home address, and home telephone and/or cell phone numbers;
- your e-mail address;
- financial (taxation) information
- previous dental treatment information
5. How do we collect your PI?
We collect information only by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive way. Smiles 4 Canada, we collect your PI directly from you at thetime of your application.
At the time of your applicatioin to the Smiles 4 Canada program, we shall ask you to specifically consent to our collection use and disclosure of your PI.
7. Use of Your Information
We use your PI to provide our services to you and to communicate with you regarding Smiles 4 Canada, evaluate your application and facilitate your child's treatment.
Canadian Foundation for the Advancement of Orthodontists (CFAO) does not disclose your PI to any third party except the orthodontist who agrees to undertake your child's treatment. For example, we do not provide our client mailing lists to other organizations or businesses.
8. Disclosure of your PI
Under certain circumstances, Canadian Foundation for the Advancement of Orthodontists (CFAO) will disclose your PI:
- when we are required or authorized by law to do so, for example, if a court issues a subpoena;
- when you have consented to the disclosure;
- if we retain agents or consultants to assist us in completing research relating to Canadian Foundation for the Advancement of Orthodontists (CFAO);
- if the information is already publicly known.
In these instances we will only disclose such PI as is required in the circumstances.
9. Updating Your Information
Since we use your PI to provide our services to you, it is important that the information be accurate and up-to-date.
If during the course of your child's treatment any of your PI changes, please inform us so that we can make any necessary changes.
10. Is My PI Secure?
Canadian Foundation for the Advancement of Orthodontists (CFAO) takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that your PI is kept safe from loss, unauthorized access, modification or disclosure. Among the steps taken to protect your information are:
- premises security;
- employee training in the storage, safe guarding and use of PI;
- restricted file access to PI;
- deploying technological safeguards such as security software and firewalls to prevent hacking or unauthorized computer access; and
- internal password and security policies.
11. Access to Your PI
You may ask for access to any PI we hold about you.
Summary information is available on request. More detailed requests which require archive or other retrieval costs may be subject to a reasonable fee.
We also reserve the right to confirm the identity of the person seeking access to PI before complying with any access requests. Please submit your access request in writing or e-mail to our privacy officer as identified in paragraph 17.
12. Correcting Errors
If Canadian Foundation for the Advancement of Orthodontists (CFAO) holds information about you and you can establish that it is not accurate, complete and up-to-date, we will take reasonable steps to correct it.
13. Can I be Denied Access to My PI?
In most cases, a client of Smiles 4 Canada will have access to the PI we store about him/her and his/her family. However, there may be rare occasions when your rights to access your PI are denied, for example the PIPEDA indicates that:
- your rights to access your PI are not absolute;
- denial of access is required or authorized by law;
- when granting you access would have an unreasonable impact on other people's privacy;
- when to do so would prejudice negotiations with you;
- to protect Canadian Foundation for the Advancement of Orthodontists' (CFAO) rights and property; or
- where the request is frivolous or vexatious.
If we deny your request for access to, or refuse a request to correct information, we will endeavor to explain why.
14. Can I request anonymity.
Whenever it is legal and practicable, we may offer the opportunity to deal with general inquiries without providing your name (for example, by accessing general information on our website).
15. Communicating with Us By E-Mail
You should be aware that e-mail is not a 100% secure medium, and you should be aware of this when contacting us to send personal or confidential information or requesting us to respond to you by e-mail.
17. Requests for Information Access and/or Corrections
If you have any questions, or wish to access your PI, please write to:
Canadian Foundation for the Advancement of Orthodontists (CFAO)
2800 – 14th Ave., Suite 210
Markham, ON L3R 0E4
Telephone: (416) 491-3186
Toll Free: 1-877-CAO-8800 (226-8800)
Fax: (416) 491-1670
If you are not satisfied with our response, the Privacy Commissioner of Canada can be reached at:
112 Kent Street
Ottawa Ontario, K1A 1H3
We may seek external advice, where appropriate, before providing a final response to individual complaints.
18. Web Site
On our website, like most other commercial websites, we may monitor traffic patterns, site usage and related site information in order to optimize our web service. We may provide aggregated information to third parties, but these statistics do not include any identifiable PI.